[Samba] HFS filesystem on linux + samba -> Mac

David Greaves david at dgreaves.com
Thu Feb 21 11:12:39 GMT 2008

Hi

A friend has a disk with an hfs filesystem on it; we'd like to move it to a
Debian (etch 2.6.18-6) box and share it via samba 3.0.24.

I can mount the hfs disk and see the files on the linux box : good
I can share a normal (xfs/etx3) fs via samba to the Mac : good

Although I can share the hfs fs via samba, the extended attributes are not
visible; so the existing files on the hfs filesystem are not useable (silly Mac!)

When I use samba/xfs we and create a file called 'DGTest' we see a file called
"._DGTest"

I'm not sure if the Mac is doing this or if Samba is.

Either way is there a way to make samba present the hfs filesystem attributes as
._NNN files

David