[Samba] Need help upgrading from 3.0.4 to 3.0.28

Douglas VanLeuven roamdad at sonic.net
Wed Feb 20 20:55:36 GMT 2008

Joe wrote:
> I have a FreeBSD 5.2.1 machine running Samba 3.0.4.  I am going to
> upgrade Samba to 3.0.28.  The process I would follow would be...
>
> download source
> configure
> make
> make install
>
> My questions are...
>
> 1. Can I "make install" with users connected to the samba
>    server and using shares?

Only if you're an optimist.  It's a rare day one can migrate that many
releases without some changes in config file syntax or interpretation.

> 2. Can I just restart nmbd and smbd to run the new version?
>    What happens to connected users if I restart nmbd and smbd?

You could.  Your users would get (optimistically) momentarily
disconnected.  The windows offline files balloon pops up or a message
"no longer connected to ...".

> 2. Will I need to change anything in smb.conf?

Probably.  I know some of the defaults have changed, but I don't have a
list handy.

> 3. Will any of the samba databases (users) get destroyed/erased/
>    changed?
Shouldn't, but someone else would have to say definitively.  I've
personally wiped and reinitialized most of them several times only
keeping the private tdb files secrets & passdb while regenerating the
printer tdb's and mappings.

> Sorry for all the questions, I'm just nervous about creating
> a big mess during the upgrade.

If it's at all possible, your best course is to setup a test machine
(real or virtual) and test the new version in your current setup by
joining it to your domain and connecting from users.  Alternatively,
duplicate the existing OS & samba version with a different machine name
and perform the upgrade on it.  Your experience doing that is the only
real way to self answer some of your questions and make the production
upgrade as smooth as possible.

Regards, Doug