[Samba] LDAP adding workstation accounts fails (but not really???)

Pat Riehecky prieheck at iwu.edu
Wed Feb 20 17:53:49 GMT 2008

This is highly weird.  I am trying to setup LDAP as the back for my
samba test system, all is going well, except for adding workstation
accounts to the server.

# net rpc join -S TESTING -U root%password
Creation of workstation account failed
Unable to join domain IWU.EDU.

Yet, if I search LDAP after the join attempt I find:

dn: uid=testing$,ou=Computers,dc=iwu,dc=edu
objectClass: top
objectClass: account
objectClass: posixAccount
cn: testing$
uid: testing$
uidNumber: 1001
gidNumber: 515
homeDirectory: /dev/null
loginShell: /bin/false
gecos: Computer

My LDAP logs show it is searching ou=People rather than ou=Computers to
see if it was added successfully.  What must I do to make it search
ou=Computers?

testparm reports the following in my smb.conf global section and reports
no errors.

[global]
        workgroup = TESTING
        netbios name = TESTING
        server string = %h server
        security = DOMAIN
        passdb backend = ldapsam:ldap://localhost
        log level = 2
        syslog = 0
        log file = /var/log/samba/log.%m
        max log size = 1000
        load printers = No
        add machine script = smbldap-useradd -w -s /bin/false "%u"
        domain logons = Yes
        preferred master = Yes
        domain master = Yes
        dns proxy = No