[Samba] understanding the ldap backend

Lionel Pinkhard pinkhardlionel at yahoo.com
Wed Feb 20 17:28:43 GMT 2008

Hi,

Can someone confirm if it's necessary to have nss? I don't have nss in my configuration (I'm running OpenBSD, so it's a little different) and it's not working, I've also tried adding LDAP users to my /etc/passwd for my samba users as an experiment, but I couldn't get them to authenticate with LDAP through a shell, nor did it help Samba in any way so I removed them again. According to the logs, login_ldap (the bsd_auth module for ldap authentication) is attempting to communicate with openldap with ldapv2, which openldap doesn't support, so it appears this technique is impossible as far as I could figure out. However, it is strange that login_ldap and openldap ship together in the same version of the bsd packages collection, yet they communicate with different versions. Anyways, I need LDAP authentication for users with shell access, but luckily not on this server, they will only need to authenticate against this server, not login to the server itself via
 SSH or shell, only log in onto the shell on Linux workstations (which can easily be configured to authenticate with my OpenBSD openldap server using ldapv3). Anyways, this is a bit off-topic I think, but does this in any way relate to Samba? If I don't have users in my /etc/passwd file can't they log in to Samba?

Btw I don't think that should break my configuration, considering that I should still be able to log in as root since root has account in both LDAP and /etc/passwd, though the problem I'm experiencing with my configuration is that I don't even get an opportunity to log in, it just bluntly throws at me "The specified network name is no longer available" (in most cases, though during this stage I cannot see anything being logged in Samba - maybe Windows caches the first attempt and then doesn't give "Access is denied" until you reboot? As usually when I reboot I get "Access is denied" again), though the first time it shows "Access is denied", the same happens with NET VIEW, yet, I'm not given a single opportunity to log in, on joining a domain (attempting to) it throws the same messages at me, dcdiag.txt also isn't much help. I have also tried setting my Windows username and password to match a Samba username and password (although I don't think this
 should be required).

Another thing, is it possible to hide a certain folder in every user's home directory from them when viewing with Samba? I've got a Maildir in each user's home directory to keep mail, but it's owned by vmail anyway (I know I should probably use virtual aliases and domains for this, but this seems to fit my scenario better), so the user can't access it, would just like them to not see it, if it's in any way possible. (Though this is not serious, since currently, my users can't even connect!)

Regards

Lionel