[Samba] Problem with SMBFS vs CIFS

Felix Miata mrmazda at ij.net
Tue Feb 19 21:51:36 GMT 2008

On 2008/02/19 20:54 (GMT+0100) Volker Lendecke apparently typed:

> On Tue, Feb 19, 2008 at 01:23:02PM -0500, Felix Miata wrote:

>> > I think cifs should be able to work in those cases...

>> Someday that may be true, but today it can't. There is at least one open time
>> stamping bug that makes the connections worthless. Getting such bugs fixed is
>> easier said than done, because virtually none, or possibly 100%, of the
>> people who might fix them, keep OS/2 or WinDOS systems available for the
>> purpose of testing.

> How many times do I have to repeat this? If anybody can tell
> me how I can access an OS/2 box I would be more than happy
> to fix OS/2 bugs. Virtually everybody but the Samba Team
> there seems to use OS/2 on a daily basis, but nobody is able
> to tell us how to run it. I don't understand this.

This is the first such request I've actually seen, though Guenter Kukkukk
mentioned it on IRC last week. To make it happen, your specifications for
"access" need to get into the hands of those in a position to answer your
request. This is not that place, since few or none who use "OS/2" frequent
here. Some public places I can think of to do it include:

http://www.os2voice.org/SubmitNews.php
news.ecomstation.nl:ecomstation.support.networking
http://tech.groups.yahoo.com/group/os2-linux/?yguid=120549840
http://www.lsoft.com/scripts/wl.exe?SL1=TEAMOS2HELP-L&H=NIC.SURFNET.NL
irc://irc.ecomstation.com/#ecs

Another good place would be to contact Serenity Systems directly.
http://www.ecomstation.com/about_us.phtml

> P.S: A really smart intern in my office tried for at least
> two weeks to install OS/2 on the oldest PC that we have
> around, but it just refuses to run.

eComStation, the current OS/2 product, is not a big deal to install on most
current decade hardware: http://www.ecomstation.com/ The current eCS product
is the 27 month old v1.2, while the most recent RC of v2.0 is about a month old.

Warp 4 was no fun to get installed on the contemporary hardware of its 1996
release, and it only got worse as technology advanced. Anyone who wants to
run OS/2 on recent or current hardware needs to be using MCP installation
media, or eCS installation media, both of which start about 4 years more
recent, and are much easier to install than the original Warp 4. To install
the original Warp 4 on newer hardware usually requires updating its
installation CD: http://www.updcd.tk/

Once installed, it's readily portable to other systems via partition cloning,
and doesn't halt on finding new hardware like windoz does. The version I'm
running here on an i915P Socket 775 SATA system was originally installed on a
i865P PATA system around 4 years ago. My previous installation has been run
on probably a dozen different systems, both AMD & Intel, Socket 7, Socket
370, Slot 1, Socket A, and Socket 478.
--
"For God so loved the world that he gave his one
and only Son, that whoever believes in him shall

 Team OS/2 ** Reg. Linux User #211409