[Samba] Moving / Copying files inside server across different shares

Lukasz Szybalski szybalski at gmail.com
Tue Feb 19 21:02:43 GMT 2008

On Feb 19, 2008 7:37 AM, Juan Ignacio Garzón
<juanignaciogarzon+samba at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi guys!
>
> when I move a file inside a share (for example, from
> \\server\myshare\dir1 to \\server\myshare\dir2), Samba manages it in
> order to make the move inside the server. That is, its very fast
> because the file never gets downloaded to the client.
>
> My problem is that when moving a file across different shares, it gets
> first downloaded to the client and then copied back to the new
> location. For example, if I move a file from \\server\myshare1 to
> \\server\myshare2, it takes 30 minutes, but if it's moved inside the
> share it takes seconds. This happened me using Nautilus as client,
> maybe its a client issue?

Isn't that a normal behavior? When you move from 2 different shares it
treats them as 2 different server?

I would try mounting the folders using mount -t cifs and see if that
will copy it quicker.

Lucas

> Is there something I can do in order to override this in the server?
>
> Thanks in advance!
> --

Samba on Debian, Documentation
http://lucasmanual.com/mywiki/SambaDomainController