[Samba] Re: cifs verses smbfs for Linux clients

Christian Perrier bubulle at debian.org
Tue Feb 19 19:22:56 GMT 2008

Quoting Volker Lendecke (Volker.Lendecke at SerNet.DE):
> On Tue, Feb 19, 2008 at 07:00:36AM +0100, Christian Perrier wrote:
> > In short, we (Ubuntu and Debian maintainers) are dropping support for
> > smbfs. This code caused many regressions in recent security fixes as
> > it is essntially unmaintained in the samba code.
>
> To make it even clearer -- would anybody mind if we removed
> the smbfs helpers from Samba 3.2?

Maybe provide a wrapper script as mount.smbfs ?

Steve Langasek wrote one when we (Debian dudes) decided to drop
support from smbfs recently.

At least considering to distribute it (or a derived work) as part of
the samba distribution could help samba users to switch from smbfs to
cifs?