[Samba] Re: cifs verses smbfs for Linux clients

Lukasz Szybalski szybalski at gmail.com
Tue Feb 19 18:08:01 GMT 2008

On Feb 19, 2008 11:31 AM, Michael Lueck <mlueck at lueckdatasystems.com> wrote:
> Lukasz Szybalski wrote:
> > That is actually a good point because today I wanted to switch to cifs
> > on all my mount scripts for work and I got:
> >
> > sudo mount -t cifs -o uid=lucas -o username=myusername
> > //192.168.1.196/c$ /home/lucas/Desktop/C
> >
> > mount error 13 = Permission denied
> > Refer to the mount.cifs(8) manual page (e.g.man mount.cifs)
>
> Your two "-o" options seem a bit odd to me. Are you certain that is correct syntax?

Its odd but works. I have tried any combination. With one -o without
uid, without username but with user etc. Any combination that might
not look odd . I still got the error.

but

Finally after searching for another 30min I found one example in which
domain option was added.
You need to add a domain option!

sudo mount -t cifs  //192.168.1.196/c$ /home/lucas/Desktop/C -o
'user=myusername,domain=myability'
or
sudo mount -t cifs  //192.168.1.196/c$ /home/lucas/Desktop/C -o
user=myusername,domain=myability

user or username will work in either case.

I guess there has to be more examples documented somewhere on samba
wiki where it deals with switching between smbfs to cifs.

It does work on debian stable ! So that's good.
I'll update my documentation:
http://lucasmanual.com/mywiki/SambaDomainController

Thanks,
Lucas