[Samba] cifs verses smbfs for Linux clients

Lukasz Szybalski szybalski at gmail.com
Tue Feb 19 14:53:17 GMT 2008

On 19 Feb 2008 09:25:00 +0100, Helmut Hullen <Hullen at t-online.de> wrote:
> Hallo, Volker,
>
> Du (Volker.Lendecke) meintest am 19.02.08:
>
> >> I get the impression that smbfs is samba.org developed code where as
> >> cifs is from elsewhere. Thus the point of confusion. Why is
> >> samba.org not developing the preferred code in this case?
>
> > The problem is -- where would you host smbmount if we
> > removed it from the samba release?
>
> There may be another problem: "mount.smbfs" works on my machine(s),
> "mount.cifs" doesn't.
> Maybe it depends on the OS on the other machine - Windows 9x may not
> accept cifs. And I have some Windows 9x machines.

That is actually a good point because today I wanted to switch to cifs
on all my mount scripts for work and I got:

sudo mount -t cifs -o uid=lucas -o username=myusername
//192.168.1.196/c$ /home/lucas/Desktop/C

mount error 13 = Permission denied
Refer to the mount.cifs(8) manual page (e.g.man mount.cifs)

sudo mount -t smbfs -o uid=lucas -o username=myusername
//192.168.1.196/c$ /home/lucas/Desktop/C
works just fine.

samba:
  Installed: 3.0.24-6etch9
  Candidate: 3.0.24-6etch9
  Version table:
     3.0.28-2+b1 0
        450 http://debian.uchicago.edu lenny/main Packages
        400 http://debian.uchicago.edu sid/main Packages
 *** 3.0.24-6etch9 0
        600 http://debian.uchicago.edu etch/main Packages
        600 http://security.debian.org etch/updates/main Packages
        100 /var/lib/dpkg/status
lucas at debianlaptop:~$ apt-cache policy smbfs
smbfs:
  Installed: 3.0.24-6etch9
  Candidate: 3.0.24-6etch9
  Version table:
     3.0.28-2+b1 0
        450 http://debian.uchicago.edu lenny/main Packages
        400 http://debian.uchicago.edu sid/main Packages
 *** 3.0.24-6etch9 0
        600 http://debian.uchicago.edu etch/main Packages
        600 http://security.debian.org etch/updates/main Packages
        100 /var/lib/dpkg/status

Unless there is a different syntax for cifs and that is why I'm
getting that error?

Lucas