[Samba] Re: cifs verses smbfs for Linux clients

Christian Perrier bubulle at debian.org
Tue Feb 19 06:00:36 GMT 2008

Quoting Michael Lueck (mlueck at lueckdatasystems.com):

> "both helpers in the same package" is a sufficient answer to my question. ("Yes, finally, light bulb goes on!")
>
> I am certainly not going to nit-pick how the Ubuntu packagers decided to do things, just was trying to fully understand these things.

Please note that the mount helpers have always been in the same Debian
package (I guess that I don't need to remind anyone that Ubuntu
packages are based on Debian ones).

As Ubuntu 7.04 pkgs are roughly based on the packages we have in
Debian Etch, you currently have a mount.smbfs that basically does
"mount -f smbfs" and mount.cifs that does "mount -t cifs".

Please note that *this will change* in Debian lenny (currently under
preparation, scheduled for "end of year if ready") *and* Ubuntu
Hardy. In both these, mount.smbfs will be a wrapper for "mount -t
cifs".

In short, we (Ubuntu and Debian maintainers) are dropping support for
smbfs. This code caused many regressions in recent security fixes as
it is essntially unmaintained in the samba code.