[Samba] Re: cifs verses smbfs for Linux clients

Lukasz Szybalski szybalski at gmail.com
Tue Feb 19 01:35:32 GMT 2008

> > > /bin/mount -t cifs -o credentials=/home/mdlueck/.smbcredentials,uid=mdlueck,gid=mdlueck //ldslnx01/data /mnt/ldslnx01/data/
> > >
> > > And received this type of error:
> > >
> > > mount: wrong fs type, bad option, bad superblock on //ldslnx01/data,
> > >         missing codepage or other error
> > >         In some cases useful info is found in syslog - try
> > >         dmesg | tail  or so
>

> > What kind of smb server is running //ldslnx01/data  ?
> >
> > Cheers, Guenter
>
> This kind of error is reported, when the userland cifs helpers
> mount.cifs (and umount.cifs) are not installed - or the symlinks
> are not set.

You definitely need smbfs package on debian to run that mount command.

sudo mount -t cifs //192.168.10.101/music ./test
mount: wrong fs type, bad option, bad superblock on //192.168.1.101/music,
       missing codepage or other error
       dmesg | tail  or so

CIFS VFS: cifs_mount failed w/return code = -22

after installing smbfs
apt-get install smbfs

sudo mount -t cifs //192.168.10.101/music ./test
Password:
lucas at debian:~$

What kernel version did you guys say cifs will be coming with?
As far as gnome mounting windows share and putting a shortcut on a
desktop. Is there a way to access these via command line. I couldn't
find a way?

Lucas
__
http://lucasmanual.com/mywiki/SambaDomainController