[Samba] Re: cifs verses smbfs for Linux clients

Michael Lueck mlueck at lueckdatasystems.com
Tue Feb 19 00:44:13 GMT 2008

simo wrote:

> There is no interdependency at all, when compiling samba you can choose
> to build either or both helpers, it is a packaging choice. Most
> distributions are slowly killing smbfs and stopping building the
> smbmount helper in the samba packages.

I unmounted all cifs connections, then I purged the smbfs package off of my Ubuntu 7.04 desktop.

I tried mounting connections:

/bin/mount -t cifs -o credentials=/home/mdlueck/.smbcredentials,uid=mdlueck,gid=mdlueck //ldslnx01/data /mnt/ldslnx01/data/

And received this type of error:

mount: wrong fs type, bad option, bad superblock on //ldslnx01/data,
        missing codepage or other error
        dmesg | tail  or so

Thus, the dependency I was referring to. I do not like to be one to argue. (shrug)

Thanks,

--
Michael Lueck
Lueck Data Systems