[Samba] Problem with samba+openldap with regard changing passwords from windows

Alan Goodman lists at goodmanemail.com
Mon Feb 18 14:39:21 GMT 2008

I have implemented samba with LDAP backend, domain logins and roaming
profiles and everything is great - except for one thing.

Noone can change their passwords from windows - trying to change your
password results in windows telling you your not allowed to do that!

I did smbldap-show alan and among other information the line:
sambaPwdCanChange: 0 appeared.

 From my understanding if I do smbldap-usermod -A0 -B0 alan that line
should then be changed to have a value of 1 allowing users to change
passwords from their windows logins, however running the above command
does not appear to be changing these values at all and thus im left with
manually smbldap-passwd user to change each persons passwords (which
does work)

If someone could let me know which logs you require and how to obtain
them I would be happy to post them up here.

OS = CentOS 5.1

Alan