[Samba] Re: winbind - not ready for prime time?

Jeremy Allison jra at samba.org
Sun Feb 17 23:35:26 GMT 2008

On Sun, Feb 17, 2008 at 06:22:42PM -0500, Whit Blauvelt wrote:
> Jeremy,
>
> I think I can see the blind spot at play here: The signal genius of the core
> members of the Samba project is in being able to take a poorly-documented,
> haphazardly-designed interface - Microsoft's - and nonetheless make
> something that works with it. Samba's developers, of all the open-source
> project engineers, have that special sort of keen intuition which renders
> poor documentation almost superfluous. Like most human beings, you can't see
> why what's obvious enough for you shouldn't come as easily to other "normal"
> people.
>
> Meanwhile the rest of the open source world, not being so perfectly
> practiced at the arcane art of deciphering opaque APIs, more naturally
> appreciates the importance of clear, complete documentation, and generally
> gets on with producing it.

You're in the wrong place here it seems. You're looking for a *product*,
with neat manuals, a support contract and sales-people in sharp suits
driving BMW's :-).

This is a *technology*, created by pear-shaped people all living in
our parent's basements :-).

There are companies out there who take our technology and turn it
into a product. Many of us even work for them :-).

Jeremy.