[Samba] Joining Domain Problem only with XP SP2

Rune Tønnesen rune at tonnesen.org
Sun Feb 17 13:22:41 GMT 2008

Robert skrev:
> On Saturday 16 February 2008, Doug VanLeuven wrote:
>
>> Robert wrote:
>>
>>> I've having trouble getting XP SP2's to join a domain. Whenever I try to
>>> join, at the point I'm asked for a user name and password with permission
>>> to join the domain, I enter root and root's password, then get the
>>> dreaded "Unknown user or bad password" error message.
>>>
>>> The clients are a mixed bunch with some 98's, 1 Win2K, a few XP SP1 (I
>>> know, I know!, but it's not a priority to management who has me fighting
>>> other fires), and the rest being XP SP2. I *ONLY* get the error with XP
>>> SP2. The Win2K and SP1 all join no problem, so it shouldn't be a problem
>>> with the Samba PDC or the config file else none should be joining. The
>>> 98's aren't a problem of course. In fact, for reasons I can't figure out,
>>> 2 of the SP2's joined too. What is stopping the SP2's from joining?
>>>
>>> I've tried creating the machine accounts by hand, but that had no effect.
>>> I cranked up the logging and it looks to me like root authenticates
>>> correctly, but I still get the error.
>>>
>>> Background: The original Samba PDC machine was getting old so management
>>> decided to trash it. I was tasked with putting together a replacement
>>> machine. I am using Kubuntu 7.10 (Gutsy) with Samba 3.0.26a. I
>>> disconnected the client machines from the domain (switched them to
>>> workgroup), then tried to reconnect with the new server online. The old
>>> server is physically gone.
>>>
>>> As I stated, only the XP SP2's are not joining. I'm including my
>>> smb.conf, but considering the XP SP1's and the one Win2K (which is
>>> actually running as a virtual machine with XP SP2 as a host OS; this XP
>>> SP2 won't join) all join, the config file should be correct, and I have a
>>> root user in my smbpassword file, and I'm typing the password correctly.
>>> Therefore it has to be something to do with the SP2's. Possibly some
>>> registry setting??? Right now the XP SP2's are running as workgroup
>>> computers.
>>>
>>> Yes, the old domain and new domain name are the same, but I've already
>>> tried changing the new name to something different then joining but with
>>> no luck.
>>>
>>> #======================= Global Settings
>>> ===================================== [global]
>>> debug level = 2
>>> workgroup = hap
>>> netbios name = linuxII
>>> hosts allow = 192.168.1. 127.
>>> printcap name = cups
>>> load printers = yes
>>> printing = cups
>>> guest account = pcguest
>>> log file = /var/log/samba/log.%m
>>> max log size = 50
>>> security = user
>>> encrypt passwords = true
>>> passdb backend = tdbsam
>>> unix password sync = yes
>>> passwd program = /usr/bin/passwd %u
>>> passwd chat = *New*UNIX*password* %n\n
>>> *ReType*new*UNIX*password*
>>> %n\n*passwd:*all*authentication*tokens*updated*successfully* username map
> [...]

Hi Robert

I've think i found the solution to your problem. what is the name of the
workgroup, it's not in your smb.conf?
Since the SP2 pc's are in a workgroup with the same name as your
domainname they need to be taken out of the that particular workgroup
before you can join them to your domain. To join them to your domain do
as follows:

   1. Make a workstation member of a workgroup with a name differet to
      your domainname e.g. testgroup
         1. make sure it doesn't have any connection to file and
            printershares in the old workgroup
         2. restart
   2. Join the domain you want.
         1. restart to make the domain join work.

--
Rune Tønnesen
Bedste Hilsner/Best Regards