[Samba] Re: everyone acl

Christian McHugh christian.mchugh at nau.edu
Sat Feb 16 16:40:50 GMT 2008

Jamrock wrote:
> Perhaps this article will shed some light on the issue.  It explains how
> Samba works with Windows ACL's.
>
> http://searchenterpriselinux.techtarget.com/tip/0,289483,sid39_gci1080966,00.htm
I understand how the acls should work. My issue seem to be more of a bug.

For example:
If I have the following setup...

# owner: root
# group: root
user::rwx
user:bin:rwx
group::rwx
mask::rwx
other::r--

The other permission shows up in windows as the everyone acl having
read. But If I uncheck the read permission, it just comes back. That is
the problem. It should allow me to uncheck the read acl for everyone to
perform the equivalent to "chmod o-r" but it does not work. After
unchecking read for everyone, and hitting apply, the permission just
returns.

If I run chmod o-r from solaris, samba shows the proper permissions
(everyone has nothing selected) and honors it. So something is broken
with the implementation of the everyone acl.

As a side note, I am able to add and remove acl's for other users and
set their permissions just fine. It is just the everyone acl that seems
to be special.

Any ideas?

Christian