[Samba] NT_STATUS_ACCESS_DENIED

Douglas VanLeuven roamdad at sonic.net
Sat Feb 16 03:31:25 GMT 2008

Miguel Gonzalez Castaños wrote:
> I'm stumped. Same configuration in Debian sarge with
> kernel 2.4 works fine, however, with kernel 2.6,
> breaks.
>
> boddingtons2:/var# smbclient -U THREESPOT+mgonzalez //10.0.6.41/www -c 'ls'
> Password:
> Domain=[THREESPOT] OS=[Unix] Server=[Samba 3.0.24]
> tree connect failed: NT_STATUS_ACCESS_DENIED
>

> /etc/samba/smb.conf
>
> [global]
>    workgroup = THREESPOT
>    server string = boddingtons2
>
>    password server = 10.0.6.13
>    realm = THREESPOT.COM
>
>    wins support = no
>    wins server = 10.0.6.13
>    dns proxy = no
>    name resolve order = wins lmhosts hosts bcast
>
>    log level =3
>
>    log file = /var/log/samba/log.%m
>    max log size = 1000
>    syslog = 0
>    panic action = /usr/share/samba/panic-action %d
>
>    security = ads
>    encrypt passwords = true
> #   passdb backend = tdbsam guest   This is the only that changes from
> the 2.4 sarge configuration, running it with guest support gives me a core

At best, the reason for the core dump is samba is looking for a backend
called "guest".  You could make a case for samba to be more graceful
about backends that don't exist, but that's it.

At this point, I'd run "pdbedit -L -v|less" and check the accounts
didn't get corrupted from the abnormal terminations.

Regards, Doug