[Samba] symlink on Linux vs. Windows clients

Michael Heydon michaelh at jaswin.com.au
Fri Feb 15 00:04:55 GMT 2008

tovis wrote:
> I'm using SAMBA for many years, in my SOHO - I'm quite satisfied.
> One small question is up every time when I'm creating a symlink on the
> SAMBA server box from a share to point to a moint point for example
> /mnt/some_block_device (of course read/writable for particular user),
> windows cleanly "see" it, as a directory entry - I cían copy/remove do
> everything what could be done on the share. When I'm using the same share
> on a Linux box (I'm a Debian lover) it's seen as a broken symlink!
> This is the normal behavior? Can I change it some way?
>
> tovis

If you are mounting using CIFS, then unix extensions are probably being
enabled. As a result, things that samba would normally hide (such as
symlinks) are being sent for the client to sort out.

If the symlink points to somewhere else inside the share, you could look
at using relative instead of absolute links, or you could disable unix
extensions.

*Michael Heydon - IT Administrator *
michaelh at jaswin.com.au <mailto:michaelh at jaswin.com.au>