[Samba] Attach LDAP to Samba or wait Samba4

Asier Baranguán abaranguan at elpagestion.com
Thu Feb 14 16:17:44 GMT 2008

Samuel Soulard escribió:

> I wanna know if somebody as already did this.  Attach a LDAP server to Samba
> to authenticate Users that are connecting to this samba server.  My wish is

It's possible; we are running some Samba servers with LDAP acting as DC in our network. At
the smbldap-tools site you have an excellent guide, and the Samba HOWTO is a great source
of knowledge.

> that I can replace soon the Windows Server 2000 we have by a free
> alternative.  In case that no ones as done this thing, is it preferable to
> wait for Samba4 Release and have a true implementation on a DC server in
> Samba !!

The upcoming Samba4 will add more capabilities and features, upgrading Samba to the levels
of a W2k Active Directory with group policies, but you can have a pure DC with Samba3.

Greets