[Samba] Re: Wrong perms on new files/dirs using smbmount

Scott Lovenberg scott.lovenberg at gmail.com
Wed Feb 13 19:55:23 GMT 2008

Michael Lueck wrote:
> Scott Lovenberg wrote:
>> Could it be that '/' is mounted with an explicit permission setting
>> that is shadowing your mount settings?
>
> I do not think so, but have a look. This share happens to be on the /srv
> partition.
> /dev/sda1       /               xfs     defaults        0       1
> /dev/sda9       /srv            xfs     defaults        0       2

That seems fine.

What are the samba server side settings(smb.conf) for the share you are
mounting?

Do you have inherit permissions set?
from smb.conf(5) man page:

inherit permissions (S)
           The  permissions on new files and directories are normally
governed by create mask, directory mask, force
           create mode and force directory mode but the boolean inherit
permissions parameter overrides this.

           New directories inherit the mode of the parent directory,
including bits such as setgid.

           New files inherit their read/write bits from the parent
directory. Their  execute  bits  continue  to  be
           determined by map archive, map hidden and map system as usual.

           Note that the setuid bit is never set via inheritance (the
code explicitly prohibits this).

           This  can  be  particularly useful on large systems with many
users, perhaps several thousand, to allow a
           single [homes] share to be used flexibly by each user.

           Default: inherit permissions = no