[Samba] Samba and the InterWeb

Alex Hooper ahooper at bmjgroup.com
Tue Feb 12 23:55:47 GMT 2008

Hi,

We have an office-based Windows-locked publishing system whose only
delivery mechanism is to write to a local filesystem, and a requirement
for its output to be available to a collocated production environment
comprising Solaris and Linux boxes. The 'obvious' solution was to run a
Samba server on one of the collocated Linux boxes and mount the share it
provides on the relevant Windows machines in the office. And this is
what I have done. This works, but encounters the problem I am about to
describe.

SCENARIO ONE:

Connecting to the server/share in Explorer (Windows XP) by typing the
path (\\dns.host.name\share) into the address bar is accomplished
without problem, as is receiving a directory listing. But uploading a
file to the remote share (by drag and dropping) causes Explorer to
freeze for anything between 10 and 30 seconds after which the file
transfers at good speed.

SCENARIO TWO:

Map the remote share, using same connection details. Now copy is often
fine, but sometimes will just fail with a "Cannot copy
<filename>: The specified network name is no longer available." and
leave a zero-length file at the remote end.

Not infrequently, smbd processes are being left in an 'uninterruptible
sleep' state.

If I mount the remote share via smbmount onto a Linux server in the
office, I don't encounter any of these problems.

Packet-sniffing on scenario one shows that the pause is happening before
  any set-up for the file transfer: it looks like the client
disconnects, then there's a pause, then it reconnects.

I'm using Samba version 3.0.25b-1.el4_6.4 on RHEL ES release 4. Clients
are Windows XP Pro. Our office has a fairly large and complex LAN which
is managed by a separate department. Access to the Internet is, not
surprisingly, via a NATting gateway. Appropriate ports have been opened
in the firewalls, though all communication is in Direct-hosted mode (ie,
I only see traffic on port 445/tcp).

smb.conf looks like this:

[global]

         workgroup = WG123
         netbios name = n2323  # hostname of server
         server string = FOO-BAR-Samba

         #wins proxy = yes
         #wins server = xxx.xx.xx.x

         security = user
         passdb backend = tdbsam

         load printers = no

         # idle time (mins) before client is disconnected
         dead time = 15
         keepalive = 10
         socket options = IPTOS_THROUGHPUT SO_SNDBUF=8576
         inherit permissions = yes

[test-xml]
         path = /stuff/test-xml
         writeable = Yes
         public = no

Could anyone suggest what might be going on here?

Thanks,

Alex.
--
Alex Hooper                           |  <w> www.bmjpg.com
Systems and Database Administration   |  <e> ahooper at bmjgroup.com
BMJ Knowledge, BMJ Publishing Group   |  <t> +44 20 7383 6049
BMA House, LONDON, WC1H 9JR           |

The BMJ Group is one of the world's most trusted providers of medical information for doctors, researchers, health care workers and patients www.bmjgroup.bmj.com.  This email and any attachments are confidential.  If you have received this email in error, please delete it and kindly notify us.  If the email contains personal views then the BMJ Group accepts no responsibility for these statements.  The recipient should check this email and attachments for viruses because the BMJ Group accepts no liability for any damage caused by viruses.  Emails sent or received by the BMJ Group may be monitored for size, traffic, distribution and content.  BMJ Publishing Group Limited trading as BMJ Group.  A private limited company, registered in England and Wales under registration number 03102371.  Registered office: BMA House, Tavistock Square, London WC1H 9JR, UK.