[Samba] problem with samba as pdc

Andrea Lanza andrea.lanza at frameweb.it
Tue Feb 12 16:32:46 GMT 2008

hi all,
I am trying to setup samba as a PDC of a newly created domain.
I read about it here:
http://en.opensuse.org/Howto_setup_SUSE_10.1_as_Samba_PDC#OpenLDAP_Setup
and here
http://www.howtoforge.com/openldap-samba-domain-controller-ubuntu7.10

unfortunately I am not using samba 10.1 or ubuntu 7.1

I am using opensuse 10.3

Anyway I think I walked across almost all problem, and I also used to join
a windows xp workstation to the domain, WITHOUT having to create the
computer account
before.
The problem is that if i logon to the xp as root everything is OK; but
if I try to logon with another samba account I get strange errors (see at
the bottom about this...)

Moreover: If I issue a "net user" command at the pdc, I see only root and
nobody listed;
The same if I try to add a member to a group in the "manage group" of the
windows xp workstation.

If I issue getent passwd :
+::0:0:::
request done: ld 0x8054918 msgid 1
root:x:0:0:Netbios Domain Administrator:/home/root:/bin/false
nobody:x:999:514:nobody:/dev/null:/bin/false
andrea:x:1010:513:System User:/home/andrea:/bin/bash
request done: ld 0x8054918 msgid 2
xptest01$:*:1001:515:Computer:/dev/null:/bin/false
request done: ld 0x8054918 msgid 3

(andrea is the user I tried to add using smbldap-useradd command)

If I use ldapsearch -x -b dc=my,dc=domain | grep andrea
memberUid: andrea
# andrea, Users, gas.it
dn: uid=andrea,ou=Users,dc=my,dc=domain
cn: andrea
sn: andrea
uid: andrea
homeDirectory: /home/andrea
sambaLogonScript: andrea.cmd
sambaProfilePath: \\VRTLDAP01\profiles\andrea
sambaHomePath: \\VRTLDAP01\homes\andrea

The "Strange error" I see is (translated)
Could not log on due to the following error
a device connected to the system is not working

If I issue a "smbpasswd andrea" and give apassword, then I go
a little further, but I get a policy error on the windows xp.

Any help will be gratly appreciated.

Thanks in advance,

Andrea