[Samba] CTDB and LDAP: anyone?

Alex Crow acrow at integrafin.co.uk
Tue Feb 12 11:01:42 GMT 2008

Hi there,

I am looking into using CTDB between a PDC and a BDC. I assume this is
possible!

However I have a few questions:

1: Do I have to use tdb2 as an Idmap backend? Can I not stay with ldap?
(from the CTDB docs:

A clustered Samba install must set some specific configuration
parameters
clustering = yes
  idmap backend = tdb2
  private dir = /a/directory/on/your/cluster/filesystem
It is vital that the private directory is on shared storage.)

2. I have got the git tree as mentioned on the CTDB pages; however it
seems like 3.2.0pre1 will also support this; which should I go with?

3. Do I have to use IP takeover? All I am trying to do in this case is
to consistently provide the home directories and profiles on both the
PDC and BDC (I'm using GFS over iSCSI).

It doesn't matter if the IP address of either box vanishes - since they
are both domain controllers the still-living box should be used anyway
(background - I am using "passdb expand explicit = yes" and in LDAP I
have home and profile paths specified prefixed by \\%L, so the user's
profile and home dir are mapped to whatever the logon server is for that
session).

I can see how for sharing domain member services around a cluster that
IP takeover is required, but the PDC/BDC relationship means (IMHO) it's
not required in this instance.

Looking forward to any advice I receive,

Cheers

Alex

--
This message is intended only for the addressee and may contain
confidential information.  Unless you are that person, you may not

"Transact" is operated by Integrated Financial Arrangements plc
Domain House, 5-7 Singer Street, London  EC2A 4BQ
Tel: (020) 7608 4900 Fax: (020) 7608 1200
(Registered office: as above; Registered in England and Wales under
number: 3727592)
Authorised and regulated by the Financial Services Authority (entered on
the FSA Register; number: 190856)