[Samba] nmbd dead but pid file exists

Anne Wilson cannewilson at googlemail.com
Mon Feb 11 12:47:42 GMT 2008

On Saturday 09 February 2008 19:59:57 Anne Wilson wrote:
> On a CentOS 5.1 server samba works perfectly as long as connections exist.
> If no connections exist nmbd shuts down:
>
> service smb status
> smbd (pid 2970 2934) is running...
> nmbd dead but pid file exists
>
> On this last occasion it had been less than 5 minutes between connections.
>
> What could be causing this?
>
> Anne

Since that I have discovered that nmbd is dying while sessions continue, not
after they are broken.  Other possible hints:

samba-swat is installed, but I cannot find it either by
http://name-of-server:901 or http://ip-of-server:901

Logwatch reports problems every day, today's being typical:

 WARNING!!!!!!
 Errors when creating subnets:
    No subnets to listen to. Shutting down. : 1 Time(s)

 **Unmatched Entries**
 lib/debug.c:debuglevel_message(522)  INFO: Received REQ_DEBUGLEVEL message
from PID 14803 : 4 Time(s)
 libsmb/smb_signing.c:srv_check_incoming_message(737)
srv_check_incoming_message: BAD SIG: seq 2 wanted SMB signature of : 2
Time(s)
 libsmb/smb_signing.c:srv_check_incoming_message(741)
srv_check_incoming_message: BAD SIG: seq 2 got SMB signature of : 2 Time(s)
 nmbd/nmbd.c:main(717)  standard input is not a socket, assuming -D option :
1 Time(s)

The server is running 3.0.25b-1.el5_1.4 under CentOS 5.1.

Anne