[Samba] locking and gfs

Sat Feb 9 23:00:07 GMT 2008

On Sat, Feb 09, 2008 at 11:31:59PM +0100, Markus Neis wrote:

> Damn! this doesn't sound good. I hope somebody else can
> refute what you say ;-)
> gfs shouldn't be that slow. I'm really confused.

No offense intended, but Scott's description is not really
correct. The only parameter that should really matter is
"posix locking". That is the parameter that controls whether
locking is being passed down to GFS. Set that one to no, and
GFS will not see any locking requests while the Windows
client gets the full semantics. You should NOT touch any of
the other locking parameters.

What I said however only applies to a single node. If you
want to share the same file space via different nodes,
"posix locking = yes" will NOT help you, then you need to
look at http://ctdb.samba.org/. Even with "posix locking =
yes" you will inevitably get data corruption if clients
access the same file space via different nodes, ctdb will
help you around that.

Volker