[Samba] Is Samba Shadowcopying can be used in Production Environement with more than 20 TB of data

Sat Feb 9 18:28:45 GMT 2008

On 2/6/2008, Michael Heydon (michaelh at jaswin.com.au) wrote:
> We have something setup here (on a smaller scale) that might be
> useful. Our main file server rsync's with our backup server every
> hour (using hardlinks to keep snapshots). Since relatively little
> data changes between each sync, it is fairly fast (approx 5 minutes
> with no noticable slowdown for the clients) the backup server can
> then take as long as it likes to write to tape/etc without affecting
> the main server.

How well does this work on a live filesystem?

Are collisions handled gracefully? For example, what happens when a file
is in the process of being rsynced at the exact moment it is in the
process of being written to?

--

Best regards,

Charles