[Samba] Point n Print, Printer Settings Could Not Be Saved

eric eric at pozicom.net
Sat Feb 9 02:48:14 GMT 2008

Looking for some help on this. (like everyone else).

This appears to be a very well asked about problem and the advise is always
the same... Check permissions here and there.

My set up is:

OpenSLP 1.2.1
OpenLDAP 2.4.7
Samba 3.0.28
nss_ldap
CUPS 1.3.5

I've got everything working except the ability to add a "New Driver" from
Windows XP Pro.

Samba is running as a PDC / Domain Logins

I've ran strace on my smbd processes with no luck.

Short of sniffing network packets and digging into the source code, I'm
hoping this well traveled issue has some better support in this mailing
list?

Relevant parts of my smb.conf file are as follows:

## PRINTING Section Global Settings
        ; if you want your own defined print commands to work
        ; with a Samba that has CUPS support compiled in, simply use
printing = sysv
        printing = cups
        printcap name = cups
        ; note: the /etc/printcap was a work around to get the printer to
show up
        ; under windows.  I eventually was able to comment it out in favor
of the
        ; line above, printcap name = cups, after discovering that cupsd
only works
        ; with utf-8 character sets.  So I had to set the Linux OS locale to
EN_US.UTF8
        ; and after doing that, things started working!  This is not
documented very well
        ; if at all.  CUPS documentation talks about UTF8 dependency but it
does not talk
        ; about how it affects samba here nor do the samba documents mention
this.
        ;
        ;printcap name = /etc/printcap
        ;cups options = raw
        load printers = Yes
        show add printer wizard = Yes
        max print jobs = 100
        printer admin = @"Printer Operators",@"Domain
Admins",Administrator,root
        lpq cache time = 100
        ;disable spoolss = no
        max reported print jobs = 1000

## PRINTERS -- This section gets applied to every printer found in cups
(load printers = yes).
[printers]
        comment = All Network Printers
        printable = yes
        path = /var/smbshares/spool
        guest ok = yes
        public = yes
        read only = yes
        ;writable = no
        create mode = 0777
        browseable = no
        use client driver = Yes
        printer admin = @"Domain Admins"
        ;lpq command = /usr/local/pozix/cups/bin/lpq -P'%p'
        ;lprm command = /usr/local/pozix/cups/lprm -P'%p' %j
        ;lppause command = /usr/local/pozix/cups/sbin/lpc hold '%p' %j
        ;lpresume command = /usr/local/pozix/cups/sbin/lpc release '%p' %j
        ;queueresume command = /usr/local/pozix/cups/sbin/lpc start '%p'
        ;queuepause command = /usr/local/pozix/cups/sbin/lpc stop '%p'
        ;;Print Command is not used when using cups
        ;;print command = /usr/bin/lpr -r -P'%p' %s

## Win2K, WinXP Print Clients
[print$]
        comment = Printer Driver Downloads
        path = /var/smbshares/prndrivers