[Samba] How to set Samba and Cups on different servers ?

Adam Tauno Williams adamtaunowilliams at gmail.com
Fri Feb 8 14:33:02 GMT 2008

> Also I have updated /etc/cups/printers.conf with printers' information
> on server2.  After I have restarted samba on server1 I have lost
> connection to all printers which originally were on server1.
> Did anyone set something similar ?

Yep.

> Could you give an example of smb.conf with external CUPS server
> configuration in it, please?

Nope, this isn't a Samba issue.  Your making it too complicated.  CUPS
handles networking transparent printing all on its own.  Define the
print queues on the print server (where CUPS is running as the server).
Start the CUPS client on the Samba server.  Shortly thereafter you will
be able to "lpq -P{queuename}" on the Samba server.  Then the default
Samba settings will work just fine,  printers will appear in the network
neighborhood.  You'll just need to upload Win32 drivers, etc... for the
printers into the Samba server.

You can adjust CUPS browsing operations, polling, etc... to make it more
efficient, but that all has to do with CUPS and nothing at all to do
with Samba.  If "lpq -P..." doesn't work Samba won't, if it does, Samba
will.

--
Adam Tauno Williams, Network & Systems Administrator
Consultant - http://www.whitemiceconsulting.com