[Samba] How to set Samba and Cups on different servers ?

Yuriy Kuznetsov yuriy.kuznetsov at gmail.com
Fri Feb 8 12:20:53 GMT 2008

Hi guys,

I'm looking for Samba gurus on this list who might be able to help in
solving my issue and my sencere appologies for sending this email to wide
alias.
Could you help with your advice on how to set samba on one server and cups
on another server?
At the moment I have Samba+OpenLDAP+CUPS on the same server but I need to
move CUPS to another machine for some reason.
So lets assume that at the moment windows clients(and they are the most
users on the network) can see printers on Server1(Samba+OpenLDAP+CUPS). CUPS
installed on Server2(CUPS) and it is possible to print directly(using lp) to
the same printers. So what changes need to be done so that users still will
be loging to Server1 but print effectivly via Server2. I reckon that
printers still would be shown on the network using Samba on Server1.

I was trying the following :
Added "cups server = IP-address-server2"  to /etc/samba/smb.conf on server1:
        printing = cups
        printcap name = cups
        cups server = 192.168.1.20

Also I have updated /etc/cups/printers.conf with printers' information on
server2.  After I have restarted samba on server1 I have lost connection
to all printers which originally were on server1.

Did anyone set something similar ?
Could you give an example of smb.conf with external CUPS server
configuration in it, please?

Thanks a lot in advance,
yuriy