[Samba] How to have a Default Profile per group ?

Michael Heydon michaelh at jaswin.com.au
Fri Feb 8 03:17:59 GMT 2008

Tom wrote:
> Hi,

> Ok. _But_ with this solution we have to create a profile for each user
> before they loggued in ; even if the user will never use his account.
> So we have unuseful profiles and "Default User/" in the netlogon/
> directory  become unuseful too.
> Your trick could be a solution but as you said I'm sure (hope?:) there
> is a more cleaner way.
> Anybody for the ultimate solution ?
>
> Thanks
> Thomas
I don't use roaming profiles myself, but if you have a "Default User"
directory somewhere that is used as a template when creating a users
profile, couldn't you use standard substitutions?

[netlogon]
path = /shared/%G/netlogon

then create
/shared/staff/netlogon
/shared/student/netlogon
...etc

each directory can contain its own "Default User" directory. Anything
that is common between groups could be a symlink back to
/shared/common/netlogon

There might be a still better way, but I think it will involve %G
somewhere :)

*Michael Heydon - IT Administrator *
michaelh at jaswin.com.au <mailto:michaelh at jaswin.com.au>