[Samba] How to have a Default Profile per group ?

Thierry Lacoste lacoste at miage.univ-paris12.fr
Thu Feb 7 11:52:31 GMT 2008

FWIW here's the method I'm using here (I'm using mandatory
profiles but it will also work with normal profiles).
I build three different profiles on an XP box (for teachers,
students and administrators) and make then usable by
everybody.
I copy each resulting NTUSER.DAT file to the root of
the profiles share on my samba server /export/profiles
naming them NTUSER1.MAN, NTUSER2.MAN and NTUSER3.MAN.
When I add a user toto I create a symbolic link
/export/profiles/toto/NTUSER.MAN pointing to the desired profile.
If you do not want mandatory profiles just keep the .DAT
extension and make a copy instead of a symlink and don't
forget to "chown toto /export/profiles/toto/NTUSER.DAT"

I guess there is a cleaner way to go but it works and
it is quite simple.

Regards,
Thierry.