[Samba] Samba + BDE and slow speed on reading (long)

Giovani Moda - MR Informática giovani at mrinformatica.com.br
Thu Feb 7 11:16:05 GMT 2008

> 1) are your hdd tuned up look in your syslog for disk problems.

nope, HD is working fine. No reading errors, and hdparm shows

/dev/sda:
 Timing buffered disk reads:  204 MB in  3.01 seconds =  67.71 MB/sec

> 2) socket options apparently shouldn't be used with Linux 2.6 kernels

Tried without them, it just made it worse. The only improvement I got
happened when using the socked options I've mentioned on my last post.

> 3) switching off oplocks stops client side caching have you got oplocks on
> on the xp host also ??

I've disabled oplocks trying to get a better performance. Acctualy, I just
forgot to set it back on, but it really made no difference in speed. Are you
talking about enabling oplocks on Windows XP with the registry key
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\LanmanServer\Parameters\EnableOplocks
? Haven't tried. I'll have a look into it.

> 4) TCP window size on your XP host are they set to the highest possible ?

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\Tcpip\Parameters\TcpWindowSize
? What is the highest value I can set here?

> 5) Realtek NIc are know to be poor in speed and reliability consider a
> better one.

First step to take. If it shows improvement, I'll take the rest of your
suggestions.

Thanks for your inputs,

Giovani