[Samba] Making Samba change the Unix Password (/etc/shadow)

Adam Williams awilliam at mdah.state.ms.us
Wed Feb 6 20:07:41 GMT 2008

security = user

add a samba machine account (smbpasswd -a -m machine), the account must
first exist in /etc/passwd (or LDAP).  useradd -n -d /dev/null -s
/dev/null machine\$ if /etc/passwd, if in LDAP use the smbldap-passwd tool.

then add the user to samba, smbpasswd -a user

then in windows xp look at the network properties (ipconfig /all), the
WINS server should be the IP address of your samba server.  if so, then
right click on my computer, properties, computer name, change, add it to
the domain, it'll ask for the username and password of root.  put that
in, if successful it will say Welcome to the DOMAIN.  root must exist in
smbpasswd (smbpasswd -a root).

http://us3.samba.org/samba/docs/man/Samba-Guide/small.html#id329077
http://us3.samba.org/samba/docs/man/Samba-Guide/appendix.html#domjoin