[Samba] How to have a Default Profile per group ?

Tom thomas.guthmann at univ-avignon.fr
Wed Feb 6 17:51:08 GMT 2008

Hello,

My main question is :

   « Is it possible to have a dedicated Default Profile per group ? »

The idea is to have a specified and prepared default profile for each
groups we have. For the time being we've already had a "Default User/"
directory in our netlogon directory which delivers a single and only
fresh default profile. It's the same profile for everyone even if
there're not in the same group.. Each new user will have this default
profile only. It runs fine. But... we want more :)

For instance, we'd like to have a define profile with differents
policies, icons, links, etc for :
- our employees
- our teachers
- and finally for our students

At least we need 2 special crafted default profiles for the employees
and for the teachers. We can assume that if you're not an employee nor a
teacher you will have the Default User profile which is a student profile.

I've red somewhere that it was possible to prepare more than one default
profile with a default profile per group renamed with the name of the
group. For example here is the directory tree :
netlogon/
      Default User/
      teachers/
      employees/

with teachers and employees known as Samba groups. But it doesn't work
for me.

Does anybody have any hints, documentations and/or URLs to find a way to
do this. I've tried google a lot but I'm not sure to use the good
keyword since I'm searching because I have found nothing :(

Some infos about our samba systems:
- samba 3.0.26a (from the very good enterprisesamba.org) 1PDC + 1BDC
- ldap backend
- some parts of smb.conf
      [..]
      domain logons = yes
      logon script = %U.bat
      logon path = \\%h\profiles\%G\%U
      logon drive = U:
      logon home = \\%h\homes\%G\%U
      [..]
- /home/netlogon/Default User/
                  toto.bat
                  titi.bat
                  [..]

To finish my mail, I'd like to thank you all the samba team and sernet
for theirs works and for the debian packaging of the last samba
versions. Just one word for this big piece of software :
« Thanks. »

A+
Thomas