[Samba] Making Samba change the Unix Password (/etc/shadow)

Parag Kalra paragkalra at gmail.com
Tue Feb 5 23:16:21 GMT 2008

Hello all,

I am getting confused?

Is it possible to reflect the changes made in /etc/passwd on
/etc/samba/smbpasswd or is it vice versa?

What exactly does " unix password sync = Yes " do ?

Also I found a work around from following URL:
http://us1.samba.org/samba/docs/man/Samba-HOWTO-Collection/pam.html#id431902

I don't know where to place the following entry:

[#%PAM-1.0
# password-sync
#
auth       requisite    pam_nologin.so
auth       required     pam_unix.so
account    required     pam_unix.so
password   requisite    pam_cracklib.so retry=3
password   requisite    pam_unix.so shadow md5 use_authtok try_first_pass
password   required     pam_smbpass.so nullok use_authtok try_first_pass
session    required     pam_unix.so]

Do I need to need to create a new file "/etc/pam.d/"? If yes then by
what name and what all services do I need to run apart from smb?

Thanks and Regards,
Parag Kalra