[Samba] Making Samba change the Unix Password (/etc/shadow)

Michael Heydon michaelh at jaswin.com.au
Mon Feb 4 23:09:43 GMT 2008

Parag Kalra wrote:
> Hi Rubin,
>
> I made the changes suggested by you but still its not working.
>
> --
> Parag Kalra
>
> On Feb 5, 2008 3:29 AM, Rubin Bennett <rbennett at thatitguy.com> wrote:
>

>> On Tue, 2008-02-05 at 02:26 +0530, Parag Kalra wrote:
>>
>>> Hello all,
>>>
>>> I am trying to change the linux login password through the smbpasswd
>>> command by placing following  parameters in smb.conf file:
>>>
>>> unix password sync = Yes
>>> passwd program = /usr/bin/passwd %u
>>> passwd chat = "*enter old password*" %o\\n "*Enter NEW password*"
>>> %n\\n "*reenter New passwd*" %n\\n "*password changed*"
>>>

>> testparm is your friend :)  It should complain about the passwd command,
>> and for good reason; it shouldn't be there.  Use:
>> pam password change = yes
>> instead, and get rid of the passwd program and passwd chat lines.

PAM is far from universal, there are plenty of OSes and distros that do
not include PAM. The man page doesn't say anything about passwd program
being depreciated, why would testparm complain about it?

Are you getting anything in the logs when trying to reset the password?
Have you tried enabling passwd chat debug (you may have to up your log
level as well)? If you want to keep using passwd instead of PAM, could
you write a wrapper/replacement for passwd that logs everything that
happens?
>> HTH,
>> Rubin

*Michael Heydon - IT Administrator *