[Samba] Re: Samba PDC (and Users/Machines) join Server 2003 Domain

Mike 1100100 at gmail.com
Sun Feb 3 15:48:42 GMT 2008

On Jan 28, 2008 6:18 PM, Mike <1100100 at gmail.com> wrote:

> I've been reading the Official How-To, Chap. 6, Joining an NT4-type Domain
> with Samba-3 because I want to join my current Samba3 PDC server and all its
> users (on Win XP Pro machines) to an MS Server 2003 domain.
>
> What I want to accomplish is --- Maintain the same Samba PDC and user
> account setup, and also make it possible for the Samba users to access data
> in a directory on Server 2003.

I was going to move forward with an interdomain trust relationship, but the
beginning of Ch. 19 in the TOSHARG suggests, "Given that Samba-3 can
function with a scalable backend authentication database such as LDAP, . . .
the administrator would be well-advised to consider alternatives to the use
of interdomain trusts simply because, by the very nature of how trusts
function, this system is fragile."

A question before I begin with LDAP and kerberos -- If I make my Samba3
server act as a domain member on the MS 2003 server domain, can I continue
to have all WinXP Pro clients login and authenticate to Samba3, or do I need
to make them join, login, and authenticate to the MS 2003 server, and then
give them access to Samba3 server after joining it (Samba3 box) to the MS
2003 domain?

Thanks for your time and patience.