[Samba] PANIC on 6 of my client servers .Please Help

Scott Lovenberg scott.lovenberg at gmail.com
Fri Feb 1 13:56:19 GMT 2008

Res wrote:
> Hi Brad,
>
> On Thu, 31 Jan 2008, Scott Lovenberg wrote:
>
>>> I'm using FC6 and the servers have all been upgraded from FC2 and
>>> FC4. The upgrade was completed before I took them over so I don't
>>> know what samba version
>>>  was in use with those versions of Fedora.
>
> Using Fedora as a server is dangerous at the best of times, even now
> Fedora dont support FC6, and will soon enough not even support FC7, I
> suggest,
> if you can, upgrade the entire OS, to, I'd recommend Slackware 12,
> security updates are available for more than 5 years, and as Slackware
> is well known for not modifying packages it has far far far less
> problems then the stuff that RH/Debian and so on release.
>
> But, if upgrading OS is not an option (it really needs to be) I'd
> really not use any RPM for it either, what you can do, is grab the
> 3.0.28 source and compile it, if you use the following in your
> 'configure' its close to what RH use (extracted from a source.rpm)
>
> ./configure --prefix=/usr --localstatedir=/var
> --with-configdir=/etc/samba --with-privatedir=/etc/samba --with-fhs
> --with-quotas --with-smbmount --with-pam --with-pam_smbpass
> --with-syslog --with-utmp --with-swatdir=/usr/share/swat
> --with-shared-modules=idmap_rid --with-libsmbclient
> --with-sendfile-support --with-acl-support --with-winbind
>

> If you move to Slackware and want to configure your own, just remove
> the two pam options.
>

>>> The idea was to standardise on a particular version to simplify
>>> maintenance and it
>>> seems to have caused more problems than it cured.
>
> It can :)
>

>>> I didn't do the original upgrade to read the history, however... I
>>> have completely removed samba and all associated files (tdb's et)
>>> from one of the servers and then tried to re-install using fresh
>>> Fedora RPM's. The same problem persists..
>
> Are you using the same smb.conf ? or are you re writting a brand new one

I concur; Slackware-10.2 was my first distro (I've learned so much using
it), and it's the only distro I use for my own servers (Had to use
CentOS at work... it's RHEL, you know...).  I'm running a Slackware-12
and BlueWhite64-12 for my PDC and iSCSI SAN, respectively.  If you're of
the 64 bit persuasion, I'd recommend BlueWhite64 which is a 64 bit port
of Slack proper, and I've heard that Slamd64 is pretty good as well.
Also, you can get PAM as a tgz package if you'd like to use it for
password synchronization... although, it does increase your attack
vectors surface area a great deal as compared to Slack with only two or
three services running.  Lastly, I really like the BSD init over Sys V
init for management.  Anyways, a bit OT, but I thought I'd second the
notion of staying away from Fedora in production.