[Samba] Re: Group membership not meshing

wes samba at the-wes.com
Tue Dec 30 23:31:01 GMT 2008

On Tue, Dec 30, 2008 at 1:33 PM, Chad <masterclc at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Tue, Dec 30, 2008 at 11:13 AM, Chad <masterclc at gmail.com> wrote:
> > Hello,
> >
> > I have a user who shows up as a member of the office_administration
> > group when I run:
> > getent group | grep office_administration
> >
> > However when I login as the user and run:
> > groups
> > or
> > id
> > I don't see the office_administration group listed.  And when the user
> > tries to write to a directory that the office_administration group
> > owns and has permission to write to, she is denied access (which I'm
> > assuming is because the group problem noted above).
> >
> > Any ideas on how I can remedy the problem?  Any information I can
> > provide I'll be happy to do so, just let me know what you need.
> >
> > Thanks!
> >
> > Gentoo Linux 2.6.24
> > Samba 3.0.32
> >
> > -Chad
>
> Just to follow up:
>
> I had to user log out.  I then logged in as the user, and ran:
> newgrp office_administration
>
> Checked and verified and now when I run "groups" it shows up in the
> list.  The user logged back into her XP machine and can now write to
> the share.
>
> Any ideas on why this would happen, and how to avoid having to
> manually log in as the user and run newgrp in the future?
>
> Thanks!
>
> -Chad

I am having a similar issue, running 3.0.28a. But, in my system, none of the
samba groups show up in the unix groups file. They all go into ldap. Am I
supposed to be creating the groups on the linux system too? As far as I
know, that is the only thing the groups, newgrp, and id commands work with.

thanks,
-wes