[Samba] Vista roaming profiles...

John Doe jdmls at yahoo.com
Tue Dec 30 13:37:44 GMT 2008

> after many weeks of searching/trying, I still can't manage to get vista to
> use/save roaming profiles with samba as PDC...
> It has apparently worked a few times in the beginning since the profiles
> directories are populated.
> Could it be related to a Vista update or SP1?

Hi,

I tried to add those but it did not help...
       profile acls = Yes
       map acl inherit = Yes
       posix locking = No
       msdfs root = Yes

On Vista, I found
      HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\ProfileList\S-...
which contains:
      CentralProfile = \\server\Profiles\user
      ProfilesImagePath = C:\Users\user

If I set this:
      ProfilesImagePath = \\server\Profiles\user
The profile is apparently saved on the server (I guess that means the problem is on Vista's side).
The problem is that of course there is no local profile in case of a network failure...
Any idea what could be wrong?
The system variable %USERPROFILE% is always C:\Users\user and not \\server\Profiles\user
And the whole time, Vista never complains about being denied acces to the network profile...
BTW, the latest samba version for my CentOS is 3.0.28-1

Thx,
JD