[Samba] sharing samba smbpasswd

Scott Grizzard scott at scottgrizzard.com
Mon Dec 29 19:42:23 GMT 2008

I agree completely.  LDAP is the "right" way to go.  However, openldap
is a bit daunting for first time users, and the slapd.d way of
configuring openldap is not well documented for beginners.

If the samba servers can go down for a few hours without causing too
big of a headache, and you are not doing domain authentications for
workstations, I wouldn't bother with ldap.  It will take you a month
to get LDAP working the first time out, and if anything breaks, it is
much groping in the dark to get it working again.

Bottom line: LDAP is the "right" way to do it, but the learning curve
is pretty steep.  If you can live with the single point of failure,
live with it.  If you can't, hire a consultant to walk you through it
the first time or buy a Mac X-Server, or invest in several bottles of
Malox and kiss a month of weekends goodbye.  (On the plus side, doing
it yourself will teach you a lot about linux, ldap, and samba:
knowledge which you can lord over Microsoft techs that don't know the
first thing about the protocols and logic underlying Active Directory,)

- Scott Grizzard