[Samba] Fat32 - 1Gb file copy is failing

Kandukuru_Suresh at emc.com Kandukuru_Suresh at emc.com
Fri Dec 26 15:49:58 GMT 2008

Hi All,
Setup :- NAS device is running with 2.6.13 kernel and samba 3.0.32.I
have connected a 4GB USB  flash drive having FAT32.USB drive is
available from the windows machine as connected shared drive.

>From my windows machine when I am trying to copy the file (>1Gb)   to
shared USB drive(FAT32).it is giving error as shared USB drive is not
reachable.

File copy is working fine with small files.
And I could copy the files more than 1Gb when the drive is with NTFS and
other file systems

I went though the code.

In the following samba code piece:
samba-3.0.32_old/source/modules/vfs_default.c:
    714 static int vfswrap_ftruncate(vfs_handle_struct *handle,
files_struct
*fsp, int fd, SMB_OFF_T len)
    715 {
    734
    735     result = sys_ftruncate(fd, len);
    736     if (result == 0)
    737         goto done;
    738

If comment out line 735/736 (not to extend space for the file to copy on
fat),
no error will occur during copying. (But we cannot do so otherwise all
truncate
requests from client would be skipped)

Please advice  me what is the exact poblem,or it is known bug?. Any
reply will be appreciated .

Thanks in advance
Suresh