[Samba] samba server in two lans

wes samba at the-wes.com
Wed Dec 24 14:52:53 GMT 2008

On Wed, Dec 24, 2008 at 4:56 AM, Vlastimil Šetka <setka at spsostrov.cz> wrote:

> Mohammad Reza Hosseini napsal(a):
>
>> hello
>> we have a samba server on centos 5.2 and 2 different lans. so we gave the
>> server to ips eth0:172.16.93.217 and eth1: 192.168.89.3
>> but after this when we tried to join clients (windows xp) to the domain
>> the
>> error: "the specified domain either does not exist or could not be
>> contacted." what is the solution?
>>

> I had the same problem with Samba 3.0.24 - Debian Etch package. On PDC
> server with 5 interfaces (VLAN) when I tried to join clients to domain,
> sometimes I got several strange errors. Sometimes that errors came on at
> logon...
>
> From tcpdump output I found a problem that Samba server sometimes send
> browse-reply UDP packets with source IP address of other interface than the
> outgoing interface. So the client can't locate PDC address.
>
> This solution perfectly works for me:
>
> smb.conf - global section:
>  interfaces = 192.168.1.0/24 lo
>  socket address = 192.168.1.5
> where the 192.168.1.5/24 is address of one local interface. Be ware that
> now Samba can be reached only on this 1 address.
>
> On the clients is required to set the LMHOSTS file, so client knows
> selected IP of PDC. I'm using this batch:
>  echo 192.168.1.5 PDCNAME #PRE #DOM:DOMNAME >
> %systemroot%\system32\drivers\etc\lmhosts
>  REM keep length = 16 chars including the \0x1b
>  echo 192.168.1.5 "DOMNAME        \0x1b" #PRE >>
> %systemroot%\system32\drivers\etc\lmhosts
>  REM reload config
>  nbtstat -R
>
> Maybe this issue is solved in some newer Samba version.

I am having this issue also, running Samba 3.0.28a. But, I have a problem in
that the internal interface has a different IP than the external interface.
So I can't tell Samba to listen only on the external interface, because
Samba does not know that interface exists.

How can I tell Samba to listen on 10.0.0.2, but tell its clients that its IP
is 1.0.0.3?

thanks,
-wes