[Samba] oplock behavior of samba 3.2.6 causes corruption of netscape mailbox files, mails seem to be received doubly or triply

Thorsten Leiser t.leiser at synchron-is.de
Thu Dec 18 14:59:47 GMT 2008

Hi guys,

we're running a samba server on a sles 9 with sp2. The server hosts the
netscape mailbox files for our users in our terminal server environment.
There were never problems with these files. After upgrading from samba
3.0.21 to 3.2.6 (sernet-built) the mailbox files of nearly all users got
corrupt while working with netscape.
We got the following symptoms. The users seem to receive their emails
doubly or triply. After closing netscape, deleting the mailboxes index
files an restarting netscape the mails were shown normally again.
Preventing oplocks on the mailboxes index files (*.msf) didn't solve the
problem. Because the mailbox files have no file extensions, we had to
disable oplocks on the whole share.
Now netscape runs stable again. But this seems not to be a normal samba
behaviour and i don't think it's a good idea to disable oplocks on a
share on which 300 users have access to.
Is this a bug or a misconfiguration of our fileserver? I'm sorry, i
found no abnormalities in the samba logs.

to your support, an extract of our smb.conf:

[global]
         unix charset = ISO8859-15
         display charset = ISO8859-15
         workgroup = SCHARRNET
         server string =
         security = DOMAIN
         password server = MAIRE
         socket options = SO_KEEPALIVE IPTOS_LOWDELAY TCP_NODELAY
         load printers = No
         os level = 2
         local master = No
         domain master = No
         ldap ssl = no
         idmap uid = 10000-20000
         idmap gid = 10000-20000
         template homedir = /data/home/%U
         winbind separator = +
         winbind cache time = 900
         veto oplock files = /*.mdb/*.MDB/
         include = /etc/samba/include/smb-.conf

[tshome]
         comment = Home-Laufwerke auf %L
         path = /data/home/
         valid users = @SCHARRNET+Dom?nen-Benutzer
         admin users = SCHARRNET+Administrator, SCHARRNET+service
         read only = No
         create mask = 0600
         directory mask = 0700
         map acl inherit = Yes