[Samba] Printer upload problem

Nicolas HAHN hahnn at x-itools.com
Thu Dec 18 14:17:12 GMT 2008

   OK. Thanks for your help. I did solve the problem via this way: by
using CUPS Universal postscript driver for Windows and the PPD
provided by the printer manufacturer. Apparently this is really good
because thanks to this:

   - I can benefit all the printer specific options without the need
of EMF or specific print processor

   - I can benefit of accounting features

   - I can benefit of the famous "print N pages on 1" options as well
as various recto-verso features

   I need to test this in deep, but that's working like a charm ! The
only one option I cannot benefit is the famous "enter PIN code"
feature specific to this printer.

   Furthermore, it makes administration easy because we use only one
driver for all the 300 printers. The only thing which change is the
PPD file.

   But that conduct me to another question: I need to change the
driver name registered by cupsaddsmb command (which is in fact the
name of the printer).

   Is there a way with rpcclient to modify printer driver name once
registered in samba *.TDBs ? If not, we really need this feature. Is
it possible to implement it ? The explanation is simple. Our users are
disturb by the fact the driver name takes the netbios name of the
printer, which are all named with a specific coding in our
institution. But we would like to keep driver names like "HP Laserjet
5050" for example. So we need such feature.

   Thanks again for your answer.

   KR.

   --
Nicolas HAHN