[Samba] permission and library dep issues after fedora upgrade

Christian Schlaefcke cschlaefcke at wms-network.de
Thu Dec 18 14:05:07 GMT 2008

Christian Schlaefcke schrieb:
>> Hi Folks,
>>
>> I recently upgraded my fedora server from fc8 to fc10 and have
>> trouble getting my samba server working again.
>>
>> I have 2 problems that are probably coherent to each other.
>>
>> First Problem:
>> When I try to connect to my samba shares I get this error:
>> '/share/path' does not exist or permission denied when connecting to
>> [share name] Error was Keine Berechtigung
>>
>> The last two words mean: "Permission denied"
>>
>> I checked my samba configuration and think that anything looks fine.
>> I did not change anything on that after upgrade. Also the directory
>> permissions remain unchanged.
>>
>> During my research for solving this problem I stumbled over my second
>> problem:
>> when I try to execute this "smbclient -N -L localhost" on my samba
>> server I get this error:
>> smbclient: error while loading shared libraries: libldap-2.3.so.0:
>> cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory
>>
>> I checked my library path and found that I have "libldap-2.4.so.2".
>> Why is smbclient looking for libldap-2.3?
>>
>> The installed packages are the latest from FC10:
>> samba.i386  3.2.5-0.23.fc10
>> samba-client.i386  3.2.5-0.23.fc10
>>
>> Any hint that helps me solving my problems is very appreciated!
>>
>> Thanks & Regards,
>>
>> Christian
>>
>> P.S. I already posted my problems at the fedora list without any
>> response and hopefully get help from this list.
>
> Hmm, just found out that I could connect to my users home dir. So it
> looks like it is working in general...
>
> Chris
This is strange... on my research I found a post in which was mentioned
that shared folders that are located in "/tmp" are working.

Normally I have all my public shares in the folder "/usr/local/share".
So I moved any folder to another location "/usr/public" and updated the
samba shares. After I restarted samba anything works like expected. No
more "'/share/path' does not exist or permission denied when connecting
to [share name] Error was Keine Berechtigung" errors in my log.

Can someone explain, what the problem with my former share path
"/usr/local/share" might be? I did not change any permissions.

Regards,

Christian