[Samba] Do I need a WINS server if I want to browse?

Uriel Avalos amscopub-mail at yahoo.com
Thu Dec 18 03:41:05 GMT 2008

The main reason I'd rather not use a WINS server unless I absolutely have to is: I don't want to have a machine that has to be on to get browsing to work. To me that makes sense in an office environment but it seems overkill in a simple home network.

So broadcast resolution is unreliable? On my test network, with 2 computers, it took about 5 minutes for the workgroup to show up in the "Network Neighborhood." Is that the type of unreliability you are talking about?

If a WINS server gives you the same performance, then UPD broadcasting seems to be the "good enough" solution.