[Samba] Permissions problems

Derek Bodner subscribedlists at derekbodner.com
Thu Dec 18 00:03:32 GMT 2008

Hey guys,
Having a problem with permissions on shares I've setup.

I recently migrated a working samba install over to a new box.  This new
servers is running the same  distro (Gentoo 2008.0), same version (3.0.32),
and using the exact same smb.conf.

I'm trying to get directories to have the permissions of 0770 and 0660,
respectively, so users in the same group can read/write to them.

Here is an example share:
[test]
        comment = testing
        path = /var/samba/files/test
        valid users = +users
        read only = No
        browsable = No
        force group = users
        force create mode = 0660
        force directory mode = 0770

However, directories are being created as 0755 and files as 0644.

I do have  inherit permissions set to no in the global section.

I'm sure there's something obvious that I'm missing that's overriding the
mask, but I can't seem to find it.  The exact same share declaration is
working as expected on the previous box I'm migrating from.

Thanks for your help.
--
Derek Bodner
subscribedlists at derekbodner.com