[Samba] Vista roaming profiles...

John Doe jdmls at yahoo.com
Wed Dec 17 16:09:54 GMT 2008

> From: Adam Williams <awilliam at mdah.state.ms.us>
> vista works fine for me w/ roaming profiles.  i can send you my smb.conf
> and LDAP entries if you wish to take a look.

Hi Adam,

I would be very gratefull if I could have a look at your smb.conf
BTW, the version installed is 3.0.28 and the setup is simple: 1 samba server and 4 Vista workstations...
In the mean time, I did continue to search and found other pointers like:
 - Looking in My Computers/Properties/User Profiles, copy the local profile and change permissions to allow the domain.
 - Enable the "Do not check for user ownership of Roaming Profile Folders"
 - Do I need "profiles acl"?
Did not have the opportunity to try those yet...
The strange thing is that the profiles on the server have been used at
least once...  I have no idea what changed in the meantime.
I have to point out that Vista does not say it cannot load the profiles...  I begin to wonder if he even tries.
Also, I found out that one of the registry fix (RequireSignOrSeal) had been reverted by Windows:
That is why I am thinking the reason is from updates...

Here's mine if there is something blatantly wrong in it:

-----8<-----8<-----8<-----8<-----
  [global]
        workgroup = DOM
        server string = "[FILER]"
        netbios name = FILER
        interfaces = 192.168.17.3
        log file = /var/log/samba/%m.log
        log level = 3
        security = user
        smb passwd file = /etc/samba/smbpasswd
        passwd program = /usr/bin/passwd %u
        passwd chat = *New*password* %n\n *Retype*new*password* %n\n *passwd:*all*authentication*tokens*updated*successfully*
        unix password sync = yes
        null passwords = yes
        domain master = yes
        domain logons = yes