[Samba] samba 4

Andrew Bartlett abartlet at samba.org
Wed Dec 17 04:52:17 GMT 2008

On Sat, 2008-11-15 at 20:14 -0500, Ryan Bair wrote:
> Samba4 is currently in Alpha state and under active development.
>
> The most recent Alpha was alpha5, release about 4 months ago. The
> current source is in the main samba Git repository in the source4
> directory. As is noted all over the place, the software is alpha
> quality and should not be used in testing.

Samba4 has been though a number of alpha releases, and is used in a
number of production environments.  What works seems to work well, but
it would be unfair to mark it 'beta' when we know there are major
features that are missing (such as good member server support) that
folks would expect from a Samba beta.

Samba4 has a hard act to follow (and to be measured against) - the
Samba3 alpha releases were incredibly solid - but they also came from
the evolution of working code, rather than massive building of new
functionality.

Andrew Bartlett
--
Andrew Bartlett